A Few Important Details of the 2018-2019 Plan

Please also see the full brochure on our Documents page.


All UT Knoxville students must use the resources of the Student Health Center (SHC) first, where treatment will be administered or referral issued. Expenses incurred for medical treatment rendered outside of the Student Health Center for which no prior approval or referral is obtained will be covered at the non-preferred level of coinsurance. A referral issued by the SHC must accompany the claim when submitted. See the Referral Guide for more details.


Servicing for the Student Health Plan is provided by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. Please inform your providers of the service line, 1-800-767-0700 and the claims address, UnitedHealthcare StudentResources, PO Box 809025, Dallas, TX 75380-9025. ID cards will not automatically be mailed, but will be available online once your enrollment has been processed.  Click here to create a My Account to view or print a copy of your ID card, download it to your mobile device, or request a card by mail. 

Policy Numbers Per Campus:
2018-303-1 or 2018-303-4 University of Tennessee Chattanooga
2018-1268-1 or 2018-1268-4 University of Tennessee Knoxville
2018-1336-1 or 2018-1336-4 University of Tennessee Martin
2018-201885-1 or 2018-201885-4 University of Tennessee Space Institute Tullahoma

* If you are a domestic student, your policy number will end in -1.  If you are an international student, your policy number will end in -4


Frequently Asked Questions - Click to view answer

Who is eligible for the student plan?

Degree-seeking students registered for 6 or more undergraduate credit hours or 3 or more graduate credit hours and students participating in a co-op program are eligible to enroll in this insurance plan. Credit hours can be a combination of on-line and attending classes on campus, with a minimum of 1 credit hour on campus.  Please note, online only students are not eligible to enroll in the plan.


What if I am not eligible for the student plan?

For students in between enrollment periods, or recent graduates, you may be eligible for enrollment through the Marketplace. To get more information or to enroll click here.

If not eligible for enrollment in the Student Health Insurance or through the Marketplace, short term insurance may be an option. To get more information or to enroll click here. If you have any questions about this coverage, you may call UnitedHealth One at 800-273-8115.


When can I enroll?

Fall 2018 and Annual 2018-19 Enrollment. The deadline for purchasing this coverage is September 20, 2018.  All payments and enrollment forms must be received in our office or post-marked by this date.

Spring 2019 Enrollment
. The deadline for purchasing this coverage is January 31, 2019. All payments and enrollment forms must be received in our office or post-marked by this date.

Summer 2019 Enrollment
. The deadline for purchasing this coverage is June 30, 2019.

In the case of a qualifying event such as loss of coverage due to an employment change, being dropped from your parent's coverage at age 26, having a baby or a change in your marital status please contact our office within 30 days of the event for possible mid-term enrollment.

When do I pay the insurance premiums?

Payment is required in full with your enrollment. Unfortunately, we do not have a payment plan at this time. Please note: credit card payments are subject to an additional 2.5% processing fee. This would also apply to debit cards. The processing fee can be avoided by paying with a personal check or money order.


Do I have to enroll in the insurance each year?

Each Fall (August 1), the insurance plan renews with a new policy contract. Enrollment is not automatic, so you do have to enroll each time, online or by mail/fax. We cannot accept payment or renewal information by phone. You may also need to renew each semester depending on what you initially purchased. Please note that premiums, benefits, claims addresses, ID numbers, and contact information may change with each renewal. Please review the brochure or contact our office with any questions.


Will I receive new health ID cards this year?

ID Cards will not be automatically mailed but will be available online once your enrollment has been processed.  Click here to create an online account by entering your 7-digit Insurance ID number or the email address on file. Through My Account you can view or print a copy of your ID Card, download it to a mobile device, or request a card by mail. 


What information can I access online?

UnitedHealthcare StudentResources Insureds have online access to claims status, EOBs, ID Cards, network providers, correspondence and coverage information by logging in to My Account at www.uhcsr.com/myaccount. Insured students who don’t already have an online account may simply select the “create My Account Now” link. Follow the simple, onscreen directions to establish an online account in minutes using your 7-digit Insurance ID number or the email address on file.


How do I find a Mental Health provider or facility?

You may call UnitedHealthcare StudentResources at 800-767-0700 and ask to be directed to their United Behavioral Health Division or you can search for mental or behavioral health providers and facilities by clicking here


How soon can I use my health insurance or prescription card after enrolling?

Once enrollments are received in our office or completed online, there is a processing time of approximately 7 business days. During this time, physicians and pharmacies will not have access to your information. If you do have to use your insurance before processing is complete, keep track of any medical bills or prescription receipts. These can be reprocessed once you are in the system or submitted to the insurance company along with a claim form. Please call our office with any questions.

Enrollments received 14 days prior to the period effective date may experience processing times longer than 7 days.


Does the plan have a pre-existing condition clause?

No, the plan does not include a pre-existing condition exclusion or limitation.    

Can I keep the insurance if I drop a class or withdraw from school?

Students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days, counting from the first day of class, at the time of insurance enrollment. The minimum eligibility requirements during this time are 6 undergraduate or 3 graduate credit hours for degree-seeking students, with a minimum of one credit hour on campus. If the insurance company discovers the eligibility requirements have not been met, its only obligation is to refund premium.


Can I add health insurance for my dependents?

Health insurance coverage can be purchased for students and their spouses or children during the enrollment periods. Students must enroll in the coverage before any dependents can be added. If the student’s coverage is terminated for any reason, the dependent coverage will also terminate.


Can I add my domestic partner as a dependent?

Domestic partners may be added as a dependent at the spouse rate. Students must enroll in the coverage before a domestic partner may be added as a dependent, and if the student's coverage is terminated for any reason the dependent coverage will also terminate.


Domestic partner means a person who is neither married nor related by blood or marriage to the Named Insured but who is:  1) the Named Insured’s sole spousal equivalent; 2) lives together with the Named Insured in the same residence and intends to do so indefinitely; and 3) is responsible with the Named Insured for each other’s welfare. A domestic partner relationship may be demonstrated by any three of the following types of documentation: 1) a joint mortgage or lease; 2) designation of the domestic partner as beneficiary for life insurance; 3) designation of the domestic partner as primary beneficiary in the Named Insured’s will; 4) domestic partnership agreement; 5) powers of attorney for property and/or health care; and 6) joint ownership of either a motor vehicle, checking account or credit account.


Can I add the optional dental coverage at any time?

No. Dental coverage can be purchased ONLY on an annual basis during Annual open enrollment. Coverage can be purchased along with the student health insurance or separately. The coverage is available to dependents as long as the student is enrolled in the dental plan. 


Does my insurance include vision coverage?

Pediatric vision is available for insureds and dependents under age 19 only. Vision coverage is not included with this plan for insureds age 19 and over; however, the UnitedHealth Allies program is available to all insureds and can typically save 5% to 50% on a variety of health services including dental and vision at participating providers. To view or print a member handbook, get full details of all savings opportunities, or to locate participating providers, visit www.sr.unitedhealthallies.com.

Once enrolled in the health insurance coverage, your UnitedHealth Allies® ID card can be found along with your UnitedHealthcare StudentResources medical ID card.  You may register an account at www.sr.unitedhealthallies.com using the ID number shown on the UnitedHealth Allies® ID card.  You may call UnitedHealth Allies® Customer Care with any questions at 1-800-860-8773, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Central Time).

I’ve received requests for information from the insurance company. What do I need to do?

After receiving a claim, the insurance company will often request information from you such as accident details, inquiries into other insurance that you or a family member may have or had previously, or proof of your status as a student. Claims can be delayed or initially denied if requested information is not received. You may also need to contact your doctor's office to release records in some cases.

You may call 800-767-0700 or log in to your account at uhcsr.com to provide most information. For student status letters you may contact the UT Registrar’s office or go to their website for instructions on requesting a student verification letter. In most cases, the letters can be forwarded on your behalf in a few days. Click below for the request forms.

UT Chattanooga

UT Knoxville

You must contact One Stop at 865-974-1111 or email onestop@utk.edu to have them complete the Student Status letter sent by UnitedHealthcare; please do not send an enrollment verification certificate from the National Student Clearinghouse, this will not be accepted.

UT Martin


What do I need to do if I am an Appointed GA, GRA, or GTA at UT Knoxville?

Enrollment should happen automatically through your department at UTK if you have an assistantship. Check with them to confirm that your information has been sent and is correct. We receive enrollment lists from the UT Knoxville Student Health Center, and these determine your start and end dates for the health insurance. However, if you would like to add dependents or any dental coverage, you will need to submit an enrollment form.


DO NOT rely on coverage dates provided by the insurance company. These, along with dates verified through our office, are subject to change without advance notice. Final coverage dates are determined by your department at UTK, and we receive updates throughout the year regarding insurance enrollment. If you are graduating or ending your employment at UTK, it is imperative that you check with your department regarding your coverage. Dependent coverage may also be affected.




What do I need to do if I am an International Student?

All international students are required to purchase this insurance plan, unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished. Students will be automatically charged for the insurance at the time of enrollment, and payment must be made to the University Bursar’s Office. Coverage for Knoxville international students who have an assistantship as a GA/GTA/GRA will be paid by the student's department for the period of their appointment only.


Dependent coverage for registered students may be purchased online here or by submitting an enrollment form. Dependent coverage must be purchased by September 20, 2018, for the Annual and Fall terms, and by January 31, 2019, for the Spring/Summer term. Students enrolling for the first time in Summer Term should enroll their dependents as soon as they arrive. Students whose assistantships are ending before they graduate should contact Student Health Services immediately to arrange for continued coverage if needed.


What do I need to do if I am an International Scholar?

International scholars, and F-1 and J-1 students who have been approved for Practical Training or Academic Training, may purchase insurance through the Center for International Education. A more detailed breakdown of monthly costs is available in the Center for International Education.


I am a UT College of Social Work Student. Can I enroll in this plan?

Students attending classes at the Nashville campus who are enrolled in the College of Social work can enroll in coverage if they meet eligibility requirements indicated in the policy brochure. Please note, online only students are not eligible to enroll in the plan. Since the program is affiliated with UT Knoxville you will enroll as a Knoxville student, but you are ineligible for services at the Knoxville Student Health Center. Please contact the Hildreth Agency directly and inform us that you are enrolled in the UT Nashville College of Social Work.

I am a UTHSC Memphis Student. Can I enroll in this plan?

If you are enrolled through the UTHSC campus but are attending classes at UT Knoxville, you are required to obtain your health insurance through UTHSC. Due to contracting agreements, UT Memphis students are not eligible for the UT Knoxville health insurance plan.  Please click here or contact UTHSC at 901-448-5630 for information regarding your school sponsored insurance.